Stay healthy this winter with a hearty Sweet Potato Soup! Recipe courtesy of Manny Cantor Center’s health & wellness staff.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
– 2 tbs. olive oil
– 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced (should be about 2 cups)
– 3 tbs. tomato paste
– 3 tbs. creamy peanut butter
– 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
– 1 tsp. ground turmeric
– 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into cubes (you can substitute one of the sweet potatoes for a medium sized butternut squash)
– 3 & 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
– spinach ribbons & lemon rounds for garnish
1) Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
2) Add leeks, and saute 5 to 7 minutes.
3) Stir in tomato paste, peanut butter, garlic, turmeric, and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4) Add sweet potatoes, squash, and broth and stir.
5) Add 1 & 1/2 cups water, and simmer over medium-low heat, partially covered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
6) Blend mixture with immersion blender (or small bathes in a blender) adding almond or coconut milk if the soup is too thick.
7) Bring soup back to a simmer. Add spinach ribbons and lemon rounds as garnish.