Welcome to New York
The Askwith Kenner Family Resource Center (FRC), is committed to supporting asylum seekers and providing support services to those who come through our doors, including these newest community members. We are able to offer a wide array of classes, counseling, and other forms of crucial aid, in partnership with expert mental health and education professionals.
Our extensive list of services is constantly evolving, based on the needs of our community. At present, we offer the following support:
- Monthly Welcome to New York events where participants can sign up for services and receive immediate aid
- Essentials such as food and clothing
- English language instruction
- Counseling in English and Spanish from bilingual social workers
- Immediate, priority enrollment in our 3K and UPK programs
- Referrals for legal aid
- Assistance registering for benefits at our Benefits Clinics
- Assistance filling out Employment Authorization applications
- Access to peer groups such as our teen support group
- Free trips to museums and other cultural excursions around the City
How You Can Help:
Wondering how you can help support our work on behalf of recent asylum seekers? Scroll down to discover volunteering opportunities and more!
- Drop off clothes and other provisions at the Manny Cantor Center to be donated to our Reloved Boutique at the Family Resource Center. Asylum seekers mostly come to NYC from warm climates, so their whole families are in urgent need of appropriate attire for our cold winter weather.
- Volunteer to personally assist asylum seekers by helping families complete forms to receive work permits (Spanish, Russian, or French language proficiency is preferred but not necessary), washing and sorting donated clothes, and helping us run the Welcome to New York sessions.